A seven session course set in a fantastic atmosphere. Couples will enjoy a romantic, candlelight dinner together, followed by listening to practical talks that are informative and fun.
There is never any group work and you will never be asked to share anything about your relationship with anyone other than your partner.
About The Marriage Course
Nicky and Sila Lee, founders of Relationship Central in the UK, have developed resources to help support family life through the local church for more than twenty-five years. They regularly speak to thousands of guests at training events and conferences worldwide.
Nicky and Sila, who have been married for 38 years, are co-authors of The Marriage Book, which is based on material from The Marriage Preparation Course and The Marriage Course, and The Parenting Book, which is based on The Parenting Children Course and The Parenting Teenagers Course.
Why do the course?
A strong, loving and lifelong relationship doesn’t happen by chance. It takes effort and dedication to keep the fun and romance alive. We can all learn how to make even the happiest marriage better.
Who can attend The Marriage Course?
Any married couple who would like to build a relationship that lasts a lifetime can attend The Marriage Course. The course is suited for couples who may have been recently married, or have been married for many years.
While The Marriage Course is based upon Christian principles, it is appropriate for both Christian couples and couples who may not be Christian, or who are exploring the Christian faith.
What are the session topics?
- Building Strong Foundations – This session helps couples to look at their lifestyle and its effect upon their marriage, and to discover more about each other’s needs and desires, particularly on an emotional level.
- The Art of Communication – Listening is a vital skill for a strong marriage. Couples practice communicating their feelings and listening effectively to one another.
- Resolving Conflict – We look at how couples can increase their intimacy by expressing appreciation for each other, recognizing their differences, learning to negotiate disagreements and praying for each other (if they feel comfortable doing so).
- The Power of Forgiveness – We talk about the ways we will inevitably hurt each other and how to resolve these hurts so we don’t create a backlog of anger and resentment. We look at the process of healing, from identifying the hurt to saying sorry and practicing forgiveness.
- The Impact of Family – Past and Present – This will help you to recognize how your family background may affect the way you relate to one another. We talk about how to build a good and healthy relationship with your parents, parents-in-laws and wider family, and to learn how hurt from childhood can be healed.
- Good Sex – Sexual intimacy needs to be worked at and developed. It isn’t just the icing on the cake; it’s a vital ingredient of the cake itself. Couples are encouraged to talk about their sexual relationship and to recognize where they need to make changes.
- Love in Action – This session looks at five ways of expressing love – words, time, touch, presents and actions. Couples discover which expression of love is most important for their partner and how to put this into practice.
What languages is The Marriage Course offered in?
The Marriage Course videos are played in English, with Mandarin subtitles. The course material is available in both English and Mandarin.
Are there group discussions?
The Marriage Course is intended for couples to grow together in love and understanding of each other. There are no group discussions, although the videos are shown to the entire group.
The next course starts Sunday, November 9, 5:30-8:30pm.
If you are interested in helping with The Marriage Course, or host a session, please let us know